This is a story all about a 28-year-old woman in India who everyone just assumed was a nympho. But then she died. Turned out she had rabies.
Complaining to doctors that she was constantly aroused, often with no stimulation, she was referred to a doctor at the Sri Gokulam Hospital. There, staff discovered that the source of her infection was a small bite from a puppy a few months earlier. She died four days later.
Fear of water caused by paralysis of the swallowing muscles is a relatively well known symptom of the disease but hypersexuality is another under-reported but not uncommon symptom of rabies. This occurs when the rabies causes inflammation in the brain.
Pet vaccination programs have been largely successful in staving off the disease in the U.S. But around the world between 55,000 and 70,000 people die of rabies each year. Doctors suggest immediate washing after being bitten by an animal you suspect of carrying rabies. If you believe you’ve been infected, seek help.
(Source: Daily Mail)